Feed??????? For Laying and Not laying???

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by JordanFamily, Apr 13, 2011.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Getting my very first Peafowl on Monday. Right now they are laying and was wondering what exactly I should get at the Family Center to feed them? They have Game Bird Feed, Flock Raiser, maitenace?, Layenna,??? Which brand do you guys use? I need something simple and easy to get to feed them so it needs to be something my local place has.... I also need to know what to feed them when they are not laying anymore.... I have seen posts on here that say you feed them 20% feed but have no clue as to what this means.... Advice would be appriciated... Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    look for game bird feed is has a higher protien.some people do just use chicken feed but they do better with a game bird feed you may have to look around a little to find it.

3. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Do not get game feed especially with growing birds. It can cause a slip tendon, rendering the bird crippled and worthless. The leg affected by the slip tendon will shrivel up and fall off.

4. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Quote:Yikes!!! Gamebird feed makes their legs fall off. My peafowl haven't recieved that memo. I've fed 21% gamebird feed to peafowl for YEARS and all of them have two legs.

5. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    21% protein is fine and they usually die before the leg falls off.

6. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    Quote:what do you feed yours we were told that is what to feed them.

7. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
  8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Now I know forsure your wrong about this IT WILL NOT make there leg fall off I kept a Java male for 3 years before I put him down and he still had both legs could also walk. So how long does it take for the leg to fall off?? 21% or 22% gamebird starter is the highest you want for peachicks, after breeding season we feed a 16% crumble with dry dog or cat food added.

10. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    We had an IB hen whose leg was literally hanging on by some skin before we put her down and she was under a year old. Guess the affect of a slip tendon varies from bird to bird, but do not feed them feed with a protein level that is to high, so game bird feed is still no good unless it has a low protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by