Feed for newly hatched Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sega, Dec 20, 2012.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Wondering what to feed my newly hatched Quail. I have been feeding them Chick Starter Grower until they are about 4 weeks old them I swap over to high protein 20% Quail feed. Is this correct to be feeding them this way?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quail chicks need more protein than is in chicken chick starter. They need a gamebird or turkey starter/feed of 24% to 28% all their lives.

3. sega

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Purchased 24% quail starter grower today. Will give this a try. Will it make them grow faster?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    No, it won't make them necessarily grow faster, but they will grow healthier. :)

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm amazed that you didn't lose any chicks when feeding them chick starter. The one time I ran out of game bird starter and the feed stores were also out of it, my chicks started eating EACH OTHER. It was horrible. They were being fed chick starter and it wasn't close to good for them. Then they started falling over and not being able to stand up from the lack of protein.

Fortunately, I was able to remedy the situation quickly when the feed store's shipment came in, and most of them survived, but it was a vivid lesson in why game birds have separate feed mixes.

Also, for newly hatched quail, I grind the food in a coffee grinder--their beaks are SO tiny, I feel like this helps them. They eat it like crazy, and ignore the bigger chunks. I don't think it's strictly necessary, but I do think it helps them thrive.

Good luck with the babies. Nothing is cuter than a quail chick!

1 person likes this.
  6. sega

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    I have been feeding them chick starter and have not had one problem with them dying. The only time I had a problem with them pecking each other is when I put three older BobWhite quail in with some young Pharaoh quail. The next morning I was a few Pharaoh quail shorter than the night before. Three BW Quail sent to the woods.

I am now feeding only Game Bird feed to my Quail.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I wonder if the chick starter you have access to might be higher in protein than what I was using at the time (I don't remember what brand I had then). Glad you didn't lose any!

:)

8. sega

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    I will check the label and let you know.

9. sega

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    The feed is: MID-SOUTH PULLET STARTER-GROWER CRUMBLES MEDICATED.
    I have been feeding it to 4 different hatching's of Quail and have not had any problems yet. It is 20% Crude Protein, min. It also has 0.0125% Amprolium. It cost $15.85 a 50lb bag.

The Tractor Supply DuMOR[​IMG] Chick Starter 24% Feed for Quail, Turkey, and other Game Birds is $16.99 a 50lb bag. I have started using it since chatting with some people on here.
    I hope they do just as good eating it. From my limited experience I have found that Quail are much more hardier than Chicken chicks and a lot easier to raise.

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    That's great! I always figure if it's working well for you, go with it. If you run into problems, then assess what you're doing and consider a change. But it sounds like they're doing great. Let us know how they do on the new feed, and if you notice any changes. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by