Feed ? for other than CX's

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by OHhappychicks, Aug 10, 2011.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    WHat feed do you use for chickens other than CX's? We have some roosters of different breeds that are around 12 wks that we want to process. They have been on grower all this time.
    Should I switch to broiler feed to see if they will fatten up? We were going to process them at 18 wks. I also have another question. I have eaten homegrown CX's from a friend that raises them and also some of our own roosters (not CX). Where they have good flavor, they are kinda tough. I talked to another friend who processed his and he said the same thing. Any thoughts as to why they are tough?

2. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    I feed broiler/meatbird feed from day one, you could definitely switch now......... If your birds have lots of room to move around, they will build muscle and the meat will be tougher but the payoff is a leaner more flavorfull meat. If you make broth, you will find hardly any fat on the top after cooling. Longer duration/lower heat cooking methods will be needed to have more tender meat such as crockpot (tonights 18 wk. BCM roo), steamer, etc. This is what I have found after years of eating different breeds/ages.

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    This topic comes up frequently here. Oftentimes, the meat is tough because the bird was eaten the same day and not left to rest in the fridge for a couple days. Do you think that could be the case in your particular situation?

4. Zanna

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Quote:X2 Forgot about this important step, always just do it automatically [​IMG]

5. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thank you Zanna and Itsy for the great tips. My friend takes them to a processor, they get processed, shrink wrapped and they bring them home the same day. Do you think that is the problem? We bring them home and right into the freezer.
    I will try the crockpot to cook them in the next time and see if that makes a diff. I just wondered because my MIL used to raise meat chickens, not CX, and I think she processed at 8-10 wks. She always fried them and they weren't tough at all. She processed them herself, but I wasn't in on the process, so I'm not sure if she let them rest or not. I'm not going to take these to the processor this time. We have an Amish lady that will process for us for a minimal price. I will bring them home and do what you suggest.

6. Zanna

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Yes, the processing, packing and freezing the same day will definitely lend to tougher meat. 5 hours on med. heat in the crockpot though will make the toughest bird tender! Add a little of your favorite wine for flavor, your favorite herbs, salt and pepper, veggies if you like and you have an easy, delicious dinner!

7. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Quote:Thanks! That is good info to know. I wondered why they were tough and my MIL weren't. Makes good sense to me. And my tummy's grumbly just thinking of that delicious meal!! [​IMG]

8. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    The meat will have more texture if the birds are not confined to very limited space. I prefer a little texture to the meat myself.

If frying cook on medium heat and add a some extra oil. We use olive oil. The leaner meat has a tendency to be a little tougher and dryer. We do this with rabbits which are even leaner than most chicken.

If you look at feeding schedules for mass raised chickens you will see that the protein levels are adjusted at different intervals and I believe this is to marble some fat into the meat.

Don't expect the exact same results as supermarket meat but it will be very good and tender if processed and cooked properly.

Almost forgot,

The birds can also "rest" after being frozen too. Mainly the bird should not still be real stiff -- rigor should have passed.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  9. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thank you homesteadapps! Mine are in a very large pen but can also get out to free range if they want. Most of them stay in the pen. They can fly up on the edge of a 4x8 section that is chicken wire. The rest of the fence is the netting type fence. I will remember the tip about letting the freezer birds rest also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by