Feed for silkies

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by henney penny, Sep 9, 2010.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    What do you all feed your silkies?I want them to have the best feed so they will stay healthy and look good.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I feed my silkies the same feed as all the other chickens...but I'm weird and mix my own feed!

[​IMG]

3. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    If you have a white silkie, dont give them feed that has Marigold in it because It will tint them a yellow color

4. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I did not know that,is there marigold in any of the chicken feed?I do have white ones

5. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    If you get your feed from TSC I'd check to package. Some do... We get ours from a local feed store and they dont put it in the mix I use. I was just told this a while back by a friend. just passing it along. [​IMG]

6. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I plan on feeding game bird layena purina which is 20% with animal protein. I will give them a can of tuna or mackerel every week too. I hear this makes them look awesome! Ohh I will also give them manna pro show conditioner.

7. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I bought a bag of the mana pro conditioner and none of my chickens would eat it so I mixed it in with the feed so they would get some of it,.I`ll try the tuna and mackerel,thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by