Feed for your meaties

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
What do you feed the birds you intend to eat. Have you found Organic feed for them? If so where do you get it? Or do you just feed them regular feed from the local feed store. I have never done this before so I am trying to do some research because, this is something we want to do.

Thanks,
M

Our feed comes from a mill in Central California called Modesto Milling. They only do organic feed and it's the only feed company we use now for all of our livestock.

I use organic feed from Countryside. I use the broiler version which is only 19% protein but my 8 week old birds dressed out in the right range 4.5 to 5.5 pounds. My 10 week olds were about 6.2 to 6.5 pounds after dressing. My dressed weight will also be lower than most because I skin which if you left the skin on would be heavier. We also cut of the wing tip to make the skinning easier.

Our local feed mill grinds their own, they buy corn from the local farmers, sell their house brand about $3.00/bag cheaper than Purina Broilermaker, I have not tried their house brand, I will this spring, I use their layer mash, have excellant results...

I use Purina Flock Raiser. I get it a Tractor Supply.

I love Tractor Supply.
woot.gif
I mix Flock raiser with gamebird starter.. I don't like the idea of using any antibiotics or coccidiostats for my meaties. I have to eat them and I don't buy store chickens because I know what goes into their food.. (actually, I don't know REALLY what goes in there, but I do know it's bad stuff) But, At least I know what goes into mine and I like it..

Back
Top Bottom