1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed I founds on craigslist ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Abunari, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Abunari

Abunari Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    I found this feed on my local Craigslist and wonder how good it will be for chickens. I plan on growing boss to add to it also.

I assume this will be an adult feed not anything for chicks. http://littlerock.craigslist.org/grd/4804625973.html

It's a bulk feed with soy and rice it says.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Unable to make an educated guess with what information they provide. What's the total ingredient list? Bare minimum, you can use it as a scratch feed. You could also submit a sample for analysis and see if and what is lacking. The price is right but I would be hesitant to make it their sole ration until you know more about it.

3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    I'd be leery, the price is too cheap.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Not necessarily. Scratch grains are down to $13/100# at the feed store by me. So wholesale it's probably in the $10/100 range. He's not paying anything for advertising, testing (by law he should have it labeled and tested). I'm sure the grain is damaged, has extra fines and might not be cleaned. I'd be surprised if it was more than just whole grains and legumes but that doesn't mean you can't make it a balanced diet IF you know what it is lacking.

5. matt44644

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    It depends on how many soybeans are in there.Current soybean commodity price is $.17 a lb.Scratch grains don't usually include soy beans.
    http://www.quotesoybeans.com/

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'd want to see an analysis from a good lab, or pay for one myself. That would most likely cancel out any cost savings you would make on it. Good food is worth the money, IMO. Mary

1 person likes this.
  7. matt44644

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    If you do buy it make sure the soybeans are roasted.
    Raw Soybeans:
    Raw soybeans should not be fed to poultry. When feeding soybeans to poultry, soybeans must be heattreated
    to destroy a trypsin inhibitor that disrupts digestion. The presence of the trypsin inhibitors will
    also cause an enlarged pancreas (a 50%-100% increase). The side affects will occur at inclusion levels
    as low as 5%.
    http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/102993.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by