Feed in galvanized garbage can

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mi2bugz, Dec 28, 2013.

1. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    I went to fill up the feeder and found clumps of feed most likely by moisture. If I got all the clumps out is the feed still ok? We have moved the can into the shop so it isn't in direct sunlight and sweating. Hoping that will help!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have heard it can start a mold that is deadly to chickens. i think you would be taking a chance

3. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    That's what I thought. Thank you!

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i wonder if you have a tractor supply store? i found a garbage can there for 25 dollars that is plastic or whatever they use , just for feed. no rodents can enter it. works for me so far.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Keep your feed barrel out of the weather, out of the light, and a few inches off the ground and your mold problems will disappear. But first sterilize and thoroughly dry the feed can and lid before storing new feed.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Lesson learned the hard way! Will do. Thank you.

7. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Yes, store it out of the weather. When I first got chickens in 2011, I waffled over which garbage can to get. I had read that galvanized would sweat and add moisture to the feed, but we have a ton of rodents here and they can chew through plastic... So I went with the galvanized can and store it in the (not rodent proof) wooden garden shed. I have not had any condensation issues. Our temps and humidity levels are all over the map, so I can assume it's because I keep the can out of the weather. Just clean the can and you shoud be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by