1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feed mill experience

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by blue90292, Aug 7, 2008.

1. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    we've been thinking about getting feed mixed for us. evans feed down the road sells layer feed, but recommends that scratch and oyster shell be supplemented with the feed. further reading shows that it's also got animal fat which of course, they can't tell us what animal fat it is. evans makes this mixture at their store and it's $9.75 for a 50 pound bag which sounds mighty better than $15 a bag.

evans will make special mixes for us if we buy by the ton (40 bags). which i can do. does anyone have a special mix they have made for their broilers that i can use as a template?

thanks bunches! [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    How many chickens are you going to be feeding? 40 bags of food, or the ton, is an awful lot of food to go through and after awhile it will rot. Just FYI. [​IMG]

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    my neighbor goes through a ton every 10 days and she just called to tell me she ordered 500 chicks....:|

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Holy cow! [​IMG] That's a lot of chicks and a whole lot of food! [​IMG]

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    wow and i thought we used a lot of feed that a wholllle heappp of chickens good luck finding aa template to use

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The mill should have a template already set for you. There are lots of articles on how to formulate your own feed. The issue is the grain mill won't have the same components available at all times, so they are constantly substituting grains and seed meals to meet the energy and protein demands.

There are times in the year where I'm going through a ton per month.

7. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    How do I find a mill to make up my feed for me? I'm thinking that when the broilers are eating for real, bulk will save me some money..

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Check your agricultural newspaper if you have one in your area.

I find I could save around $1/bag if I go with custom milling. But, I of course have to haul the feed myself, which eats up any savings. So, I just have the feed store deliver to our farm once per month.

9. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:I guess I'll learn when I get there!

I find I could save around $1/bag if I go with custom milling. But, I of course have to haul the feed myself, which eats up any savings. So, I just have the feed store deliver to our farm once per month.

Oooh. Good point. $1 a bag isn't much and all I have is a minivan.​

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Sometimes you can call the chamber of commerce in your area, or the county extension office, and get help finding things like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by