1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed Mix

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaku, Nov 8, 2008.

1. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I just went to the feed mill and checked on prices for feed mixed on site, as opposed to bagged feed. DO THIS. I was paying $16/50lb bag, and their mix will be $8/50lb bag. The only catch is the 500lb minimum, which isn't a problem.

Does this mix sound good?
    -300lb Corn
    -175lb Kent GM Poultry Base (36% Protein)
    -25lb Soy

That gives a mix with 20% protein, which is what I currently feed.

2. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    They should give you a nutritional analysis sheet with information about lysine or methionine (two limiting amino acids for chickens), fat, fiber, calcium, phosphorous, salt and some vitamins. Otherwise if you don't know, your chickens could end up with deficiencies. They probably have one, so you could just ask them for it.

3. jaku

Quote:I have one for the GM Poultry Base. It is:
    Crude Protein: 36%
    Lysine 2.15
    Methionine .72
    Crude Fat 2.0
    Crude Fiber 5.0
    Calcium 2.6-3.6
    Phosphorus 1.5
    Salt 1.2-1.7

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You seem to have nailed the mineral and protein; but I'm worried if you're meeting the energy requirement. Whenever I get recipes for my home mixes, using my own grains, the nutrionist tells me to put 5 gallons of vegetable oil in the mix because I seem to be always short on the energy calories. That's usually 50 lbs of oil (whatever oil is the cheapest that week, from Costco) for a 2,000 lb mix, so you'd obviously quarter it.

5. jaku

Quote:So how/when do you add that? They'll be mixing it at the mill and bagging it up for me.

6. CarolMinnesota

CarolMinnesota Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    My chickens loved the freshly ground feed from the mill, but this summer it molded in the bag (on a wooden floor) very quickly (within three weeks of purchase), so I stopped using it.

Now that it is winter and I can keep it frozen, I may purchase some again and thaw only what I can use in a week.

Carol in Minnesota

7. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The vegetable oil is liquid and adheres to the grain in the mixer. It's no problem adding liquids during the tumble phase.

8. jaku

Quote:So they add that right at the mill then? Do they carry oil or would you buy it and just give it to them to add?

9. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I guess I'm not sure how to respond. Do they have a nutritionist there telling you to use that mix? Or are they just milling ingreidents 1,2 3 and 4 on your orders?

10. jaku

Quote:He looked up the "recipe" from a book, and it's what they listed for broilers. Kent Feeds makes the 36 GM Poultry base. They recommended corn and soy in the listed amounts to go with the base. So, it wasn't just a mix the feed store guy came up with, but I guess that doesn't neccesarily mean it's adequate, or the best mix for broilers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by