Feed nd Niacin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NoahDJB, Apr 9, 2017.

1. NoahDJB

NoahDJB New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Hey all!

I got ducks on Thursday..two months old. I got them some Natures Best Organic egg layer crumble...16% protein. But I am seeing that they need more Niacin. I am unsure what to feed then for Niacin or where to buy it. Also, is mixing raw quacker oats with their food good for them? Im not sure that that does.

2. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

You should not feed them Layer feed so early - it has too much calcium in it for that age. An unmedicated starter/grower would be better until they are around 16 weeks old.

As for niacin, many people use brewers yeast, not the slow-release kind. I used AniMed Brewers Yeast. I think the powdered kind is easier than the capsule form.

I get local feed and the duckling feed was a little higher in protein than what Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks (highly recommended reading and also available on Amazon) suggests so I mixed in old fashioned raw oatmeal to lower the protein content. The ducklings loved it. If the protein level of whatever feed you are giving them isn't too high, then I wouldn't bother adding oatmeal.

3. Krazyquilts

Also, :welcome

4. NoahDJB

NoahDJB New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Ive already bought the bag of natures best organic layer crumble...can I finish that bag out..or should I save it for later and go ahead and get the starter/ grower?

5. Krazyquilts

Do not finish off the bag of Layer - you need to switch them over to the starter/grower now. After they are 4 months old or so you can go back to the bag of Layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by