Feed options

Mikeychix

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2015
I am looking to make my normal feed more nutritious for my chickens and I don't know any websites or places that sell rolled oats, whole wheat, etc. In bulk for a lower price. As of now my feed is dumor layer pellets mixed with producers pride scratch grain and an occasional treat of whole corn. I want to eliminate the pellets and just use wheat and scratch grain and oats. Tractor supply sells 50# bags of scratch grain and whole corn for about $10. Anywhere with good prices like this for 50# bags of wheat or oats? I don't care about gmo or non gmo but that would be nice but I know its more expensive so I'm willing to sacrifice that.

Unless you have a feed recipe and a mill then I would stay with you complete feed
And not all feed is made the same I would chrck out all the types of lay feed you can buy and look at each ones feed tag side by side and then choose the brand that fits what you want in your feed

The problem with feeding scratch grains, wheat, and oats is that there isn't nearly enough protein in any of them to use as a main food source for chickens. It is much cheaper and better for your birds' health to feed them a complete and balanced feed.

What junebuggena said.

You said you're looking to make your feed more nutritious. There is nothing more nutritious for the price than a complete chicken feed.
The result of 100 years of poultry nutrition research in that bag for way less money than you could make yourself.
Even if wheat, corn or oats were sufficient, which they're not - you can't buy them cheap enough in 50# bags.
Grains range from 8-12% protein. That is too low for chickens. Moreover, grains are deficient in several amino acids like lysine, methionine and tryptophan. Those essential amino acids are added to vegetative based chicken feed.
Chickens are omnivores and require an even wider range of amino acids than humans.
Amino acids aside, there are other things like vitamins and minerals that simply feeding grain won't provide.
Chicken feed is also balanced with the right amount of fats and energy.

Ok so I have a rooster and I read that it's bad for them to eatbthe complete layer diet. If I fed them all griwer and occasionally gave them oyster shells and egg shells (not on a daily basis) would that be OK? I want my rooster to live longer but also want happy hens. If I didn't feed the shells on a daily basis would that damage the rooster or only when fed daily?

Back
Top Bottom