1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feed or not feed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bensteph821, Aug 1, 2011.

1. bensteph821

bensteph821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    We hatched one baby silky overnight...shes all dried out and in her brooder. Question is can I feed her already? I noticed she was pecking around already so I put her waterer in there with her and she already started drinking it! I know for the first 3 days they do not NEED food but will it hurt them if they have it?

2. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Ofcoarse it won't hurt them!

Sometimes I feed mine sooner than that, depending on when I'm able to snatch them

out of the incubator:)

-Becca

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It will not hurt them to have food or water before three days. Just because they don't need it does not mean they can't have it. When a broody takes them off the nest, she starts teaching them to eat and drink. Some of those are only a few hours old.

I've seen that posted on this forum before, that you should not feed chicks the first three days. That does not agree with how my broodies raise them and I have given them food and water as soon as I get them out of the incubator and in the brooder. It does not hurt them.

4. bensteph821

bensteph821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    Ok Thanks! Good in and he's eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by