Feed prices?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rancher hicks, Sep 20, 2011.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Is anyone downsizing due to the feed prices? How are you dealing with this dilemma? Yesterday I went to TSC and found the chick grower went up $1 from two weeks before to $14.99.

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    we sell eggs and some chicks, pays for food and a little left over for spending money. we keep between 30 and 40 hens, depending....

Bout 100 pounds of feed a month and some scratch mix depending on what is better in price. We feed scratch very moderately with their layer feed being the biggest part of the diet....

Feed (pellets) here is 14.50 for #50

Scratch around 12.00 for #50, but only buy it once every 2 months.

They also have several acres of AZ desert to putter in as well as kitchen scraps.

Don't count labor because I like it [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:We raise the price on eggs.

4. rngrbill

rngrbill Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are using Purina Layena you can get coupons at www.purinamills.com I think it is quarterly and $3/bag.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We sell eggs and birds. They can usually cover their feed expenses. Of coarse the geese are free loaders when it breeding season, but they pretty and fun to watch.

6. blueggsandspam

blueggsandspam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Almost Heaven
    $13.99 50lb bag of Dumor crumbles TSC yesterday. But I only have a couple to feed so not too bad.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Right now feed prices are going all over the place. I work at a feed store and have to check prices weekly. The price of grain changes daily and reflects our prices. Sad to say they have been going up lately and I am afraid they will continue. The only way to get decent prices is to buy by the ton and I cant do that. Besides I cant find a mill by me that sells by the ton even if I had the means to store and my girls would eat it all before it went bad. I sell some of my eggs and chicks, but right now I am worming and have some molting So I cant use and am not getting as many eggs right now. I am not going to downsize unless it really gets bad. These are my pets too. Dog food is going up too. We have 4 dogs.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I have changed the way I feed and changed my feed brands. So far it's worked well and in fact my egg production has increased.

Back in the spring I did go up twenty five cents a dozen on my store account. I was concerned it would hurt demand, but they just increased their order by 25%.

9. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    I pay £9 for a 25kg bag of layers, £7 for a 20kg bag of mixed corn.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a store that sells day old bread and I do buy that and give them some but I notice funny shaped eggs when I do. I suppose I have to reduce the amount. They get layer pellets on demand. I also have a garden that I grow greens just for them.

There are a lot of people here with chickens so selling chicks is not easy. I give away my older hens if I can.

I paid $20 per chick for my lavenders and doubt anyone is going to pay me that. What's more I paid $5 for my other orps and just sold two for $8 each. Hardly worth the effort. I had them listed for $15 each, and no one would buy them.

Feeding them grower til egg laying time is expensive. I will be more selective in hatching this spring. I have the purina coupon thing but I'd need a lot of coupons. It's more expensive than the Dumor I feed the girls. The feed mill doesn't sell pellets and they waste a lot of feed that way.

Lord have mercy,

Rancher

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by