Feed problem?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jerseyjack, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Jerseyjack

Jerseyjack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    I have 14 - 12 day old RIR chicks, I went to moyers chicks in Quakertown,Pa. and picked them up. While I was there I bought a small bag of non-medicated chick starter, they ate it all in about 10 days. I bought a 50# bag of Dumor 20%chick starter and they just started eating that yesterday. As I was scooping out cups of feed from the bag, there are quite a few 1/2 fist size clumps. Best I can describe, is they are broken pieces of something? Greenish in color, like a mix of feed and mold?

I started them with the dumor yesterday, but didn't come across the clumps till today. They are eating fine and seem really good, but I fear maybe the bag is contaminated? Before I take this stuff back to TSC where I bought it, I figured I would see if anyone else using the dumor has found anything similar in their feed.

Thanks Jack

2. Jerseyjack

Mar 31, 2011
    Taking it back to TSC in the morning, can someone recommend a good chick starter feed?

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I havent used Dumor; I use Purina..but yeah..I'd take it back..

BTW-- I have heard/read that feed goes bad once opened really fast if it is not stored properly...

GL!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

TSC is a good company and I doubt you'll have any issues exchanging it.

BTW, DuMor is simply TSC house brand re-label of Purina, packed by Purina. TSC does not own its own feed mill.

5. Jerseyjack

Mar 31, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

TSC is a good company and I doubt you'll have any issues exchanging it.

BTW, DuMor is simply TSC house brand re-label of Purina, packed by Purina. TSC does not own its own feed mill.

Thanks for both replies, does this mean if I return the dumor and turn around and buy purina, I will be getting the same feed in a different package? I don't know squat about chicken feed, but the feed I bought from moyers chicks, seemed like more of a natural grain looking feed.

The dumor looks more like a granular type. But I guess it's what inside that counts, no matter what it looks like. My chicks did seem to like the hatchery feed better though and with the surprise chunks I found in the dumor, I don't want to take any chances.​

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Thanks for both replies, does this mean if I return the dumor and turn around and buy purina, I will be getting the same feed in a different package? I don't know squat about chicken feed, but the feed I bought from moyers chicks, seemed like more of a natural grain looking feed.

The dumor looks more like a granular type. But I guess it's what inside that counts, no matter what it looks like. My chicks did seem to like the hatchery feed better though and with the surprise chunks I found in the dumor, I don't want to take any chances.

Purina makes both and both are available in crumbles or pellets.

Purina branded DOES add sunflowers or something to help color the yolks, but compare the ingredients otherwise. Virtually the same. Purina dedicates the production of singular plant, apparently, to sack up DuMor branded feed for TSC.
    Don't get me wrong. I prefer Southern States or Armada, but i am very price conscience when buying and price often wins. BTW, the "natural grain" you might have bought from Moyer's was likely scratch, not layer feed.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  7. Jerseyjack

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks again Fred, Hopefully I will get a refund and go to the local feed store, don't know why I didn't do that in the first place [​IMG]
    But out of curiosity, I will compare bags

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by