Feed problems

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jojackc, Nov 16, 2016.

1. jojackc

jojackc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    So here is the issue. I had a hard time finding 30% protein food for my Coturnix quail awhile so my birds where only getting 22%. They seemed to be ok with the food but they got to 10 weeks old and still no eggs. So I figured the feed was the problem. Did some calling around and found a place that was a bit of a drive but they had Purina plumage feed with a 30% protein. So I got it and put the birds on it. After only three days I had two of the 4 females laying eggs and after a week they all where. Great news right? Well here is the rub. Now that I switched them to this food there poop is now very wet and pretty stinky. Their poop never smelt this bad before ever. As another side note. I kept feeding my Gamble quail the 22% feed and their poop stayed the same. I tried last week to switch them to the higher protein to see what happens. Their poop hasn't loosend up yet, but they where very good birds as far as not wasting any food. A one litter food bin would last them 1 1/2 weeks. After two days of the new food I had to refill it. There was a lot of waste every where, but it seemed like they may be eating more. Any thoughts? I was told loosened poop could be to much protein now lol.

2. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

See if there is any water going into the poop thats what really gives poop a bad smell.

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It could just be the switch over causing a few digestive upsets as they adjust. Egg laying tends to be affected by daylight hours more than anything as mine lay just fine on 20% meatbird crumbles (I cannot get gamebird feed where I am) supplemented with alfalfa sprouts and a few other treats to up their protein like scrambled egg and the odd freeze dried bug. Give it a few days and see if it improves. You can ferment their food to reduce the smell but it is more work. Or try some kind of bedding that will really absorb the moisture as if it's wet it'll smell.

4. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    I would add probiotics or apple cider vinegar to the drinking water. It will be back to normal within couple of days.

5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Yep, higher protein makes for stinkier poop. Based on studies the best protein level for maximum output for laying hens in 24%. The 22% feed should be fine especially if you don't give them a lot of treats that would cut their overall protein intake. If you want to go for something in between you could mix the two feeds. Here is a helpful calculator in figuring out how much of each you need. http://www.metzerfarms.com/FeedConversion.cfm

Are you in the southern hemisphere? Are you providing light? Assuming you are currently going into spring and aren't providing light it could just be a coincidence that they stated laying after you changed feed. As stated above, egg laying is effected by the length of the day. They need 14 hours of light to lay. If you are in the northern hemisphere and not providing light I'm surprised you are getting any eggs. Mine haven't laid for at least a month.

6. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    Have mine on 24% nonmedicated chick starter crumble. I supplement with meal worms because they love it... plus I want to get them some more fat for the cold months.

7. jojackc

jojackc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    I live in Arizona. I am still getting four eggs a day from the Coturnix quail and I have four females. I don't provide any light. Lomine is that for chickens? Or quail hens?

8. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    My ducks and chickens are laying. My quail aren't. I think part of it is that I live in the foothills and because of the mountains we get less than 10 hours of light a day. But honestly I'm fine with it. I was practically drowning in quail eggs and was getting tired of figuring out what to do with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by