FEED--% Protein, corn, popcorn--when to feed it and why?

LamarshFish

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 26, 2015
I have a problem that I recognize I'm pretty lucky to have. I have a feed company that is local, and happens to offer not one, not two, but THREE different types of PIGEON feed. I am wondering whether anybody has any input on which is best suited for my needs, and which is best for the different seasons where I live. I have racing homers, but I do not race, and only will be flying them once or twice a week and not long distances. I live in Michigan, and we have cold winters.

The options are as follows, and pretty much vary based on protein content, and whether there is corn or popcorn (flint corn) added:

#1--milo, corn, wheat and canadian peas (11% protein, 3% fat)
#2--milo, wheat and canadian peas (12% protein, 3% fat)
#3--milo, canadian peas, flint corn (popcorn), wheat and maple peas (15.5% protein, 3% fat)

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

Wish I had your problem. Pigeon feed is not available in my area. I would try all three of those products and see which one your flock prefers and thrives on.

Right now I'm using the "flying pigeon" blend. I picked that because I thought the 15.5% protein was the most appropriate based on what I've been reading, but I'm not sure. I'll see how it goes.

#1 sounds close to what most say feed n need, I feed. I feed pellets that have more protein than #3, finding dumar and co-op brands worked better for my show, Homer, racer, roller, tumbler, and parlor pigeons had. Ideally it's mixed in half with cheap scratch and bird seed, but recently I have had problems with moldy rotten insect ridden grains from co-op where was getting, and rodents at TSC where was after that getting, and Walmart. So I've just been feeding straight layer and had great results except my performance birds stay up all day etc (most bore after few mins of rollers performance, where I'll watch mine play in sir and harass local Hawks) and poop lot more wanting to breed constantly and dustier and oilier sheen to feathers.. no kidney etc problems showing in performance or culled birds. You can feed cheap bird seed and or six grain scratch for performance birds, waiting on layer to condition to and cut down slow after season.

#1 sounds close to what most say feed n need, I feed. I feed pellets that have more protein than #3, finding dumar and co-op brands worked better for my show, Homer, racer, roller, tumbler, and parlor pigeons had. Ideally it's mixed in half with cheap scratch and bird seed, but recently I have had problems with moldy rotten insect ridden grains from co-op where was getting, and rodents at TSC where was after that getting, and Walmart. So I've just been feeding straight layer and had great results except my performance birds stay up all day etc (most bore after few mins of rollers performance, where I'll watch mine play in sir and harass local Hawks) and poop lot more wanting to breed constantly and dustier and oilier sheen to feathers.. no kidney etc problems showing in performance or culled birds. You can feed cheap bird seed and or six grain scratch for performance birds, waiting on layer to condition to and cut down slow after season.

Regardless of which seed/grain mix I choose, I have been supplementing my pigeon seed/grain mix with a high quality, non-medicated layer pellet that has probiotics and such (Purina Layena pellets). I mix it at a ratio of about 1:3 pellets to seed/grain ratio.

Those layer pellets are also close to half the cost for a 50lb bag ($12/bag) compared to the pigeon feed I buy ($22/bag), so it also saves me money. Also, with the back and forth that folks seem to go on in regards to pellets vs. seed, I like that it gives my birds the option.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom