feed--Purina Layena or Dumor layer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 29, 2009.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Whats better, Purinas Layena or Dumor Layer crumbles? Ive been feeding Dumor but TSC started carrying Layena now. hmmm....

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I prefer the Layena. The last time I looked at the label of Dumor it had animal parts (pork) in it and I'm too crazy about that. Just my personal preference.

3. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    My hens prefer the Purina Layena. When I switch to anything else, they nearly stop laying completely.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Last time I got Dumor (October) the ingredients were the same as Purina. I never saw Dumor with animal protein in the 5 years I've had a TSC. People keep saying it has it, I've never seen it. I wish something had animal protein besides gamebird feed. Layena & Dumor have always worked the same for me.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Layena costs more, but the egg results are noticeable.

Smurfnibble likes this.
  7. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I don't myself have any personal experience, but I have read here, that the Dumore feed makes their poop smell worse than normal. I am using the Purina feeds, and the smell is fine. I also use the deep litter method, and add the DE. My coop is smelling okay... nothing bad........[​IMG] haha

8. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Dumor is manufactured by Purina. Now that TSC is carrying Purina, I wouldn't be surprised if Dumor starts to get phased out. They don't have enough room in the stores for both.

Smurfnibble likes this.
  9. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I too noticed a difference in my egg production when I started using the layena. I had fed the Dumor and some countrymax made stuff, fortunatly my flock didn't care as long as it wasn't pellets. They liked them all the same. I saw about 2 more eggs/day when I started the layena, coincidence? But whatever I do, pellets are out of the question for my ladies. TSC was nice enough to take back my open bag when I realized I bought pellets instead of crumble and they wouldn't eat it!

10. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    My girls have done very well on Dumor, from the chick crumbles to the layer pellets (still 1 sizeable egg/day from each girl despite the cold). I'd be interested to do a "Pepsi Challenge" with the Layena to see what they think, though!

Smurfnibble likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by