Feed question when chicks go out with grown hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Julia62, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    I have a feed question: we have 3 hens that are 11 months old and 3 chicks that are just 2 weeks old. In another 6 weeks or so when the little girls are ready to go outside full time, how do I feed the little ones their food with the older girls getting layer feed?

My plan is to take the little ones out in a pen as soon as it's warm enough so they get to know the hens safely for several weeks before they are ready to go permanently. We have one enclosed run (10 x 10) and one coop. Our feeder hangs from the bottom of the raised coop and water is in a dog bowl that sits on bricks (so much easier than chicken waterers). The gate is open to the run all day for the hens to free range in their yard (good sized section of our back yard).

I was thinking of leaving the hens out in the yard with their food and water and leaving the little ones in the run with theirs for a few weeks during the day.

Still not sure how hens won't eat grower feed and babies won't eat layer feed???

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They will both eat each other's feed so you have to switch them all to grower.
    Provide crushed oyster shell in a separate container for the layers.

3. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    I do have oyster shell out there for them now. I didn't even think about switching back to grower for the hens. Makes sense though. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by