feed question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by luieua, Mar 8, 2017.

1. luieua

luieua New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Brick, New Jersey
    my chicks are a week old. when do I change their food?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They can stay on medicated feed for about 3 months. It contains a thiamine blocker, fed long term may cause thiamine deficiency. They can eat unmedicated starter for their entire lives. Layer feed should only be offered to actively laying birds.

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Change their food from what to what?

What are you currently feeding them?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's also best not to start feeding them all sorts of table foods etc for treats. Chicks are like kids, they will always prefer treats over a nutritional meal. When they are older - treats should not be more than 10% of their diet.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I think it is recommended that they eat chick feed until they begin to lay, then switch to a layer ration. Something about kidney trouble if you put them on layer too quickly. Best wishes!

6. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    I second the chick feed for 9 weeks or 3 months. You should change the feed to a flock raiser or grower feed until about 16 weeks or 5 months- 5 1/2 months then start on a layer. Grower feed gives the juveniles the things they need without the extra calcium in layer feed. If they get layer feed too soon it could hurt their kidneys and that's never fun.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  7. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    You should maybe not change their feed until there about fully feathered, they need the medicated feed because it gives extra protein to grow the feathers and their pretty plumage.
    That's why when your chickens molting, you should get feather fixer because it gives extra protein so they have the strength to grow back the feathers. So to answer your question, you should feed them the medicated feed until there are about fully feathered and then start mixing in the regular feed.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Medicated feed does not provide more protein. Medicated feed helps to protect against coccidiosis. Unmedicated starter should have the same amount of protein.

9. Lucyluvchickens

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    That's at least what I do, my chicks usually like to play and pick at the other chicken's food [​IMG]

10. Lucyluvchickens

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    That's true, it does, but it also has more protein levels so they have more protein and strength to grow all their feathers and grow up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by