Feed question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by addicted2chicks, Apr 7, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I have been feeding my chicks unmedicated chick starter. We are going to grab more feed tomorrow and I am wondering if I could start medicated now? Will it mess with their system? I was thinking if you buy a chick a week or couple weeks old and started it on medicated then they may not of had it previous. Our feed store was out of medicated so that is why I started with unmedicated. They were suppose to get a shipment in today. Any help is appreciated.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can start medicated feed whenever you wish. The "medicated" part will not upset their system. However, as with any change of food with animals, it is best to do it gradually. Mix the new food with the old food, slowly upping the proportions, until in about a week they are totally on the new food.

If you run out of the old food before you accomplish this, you can just feed the new feed, but watch for signs of constipation or the runs.

4. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking of doing the medicated but I read the other thread discussing the differences between medicated and non and now I am not sure what I will do. I guess I was worried because I have so many chicks at once so thought I would do it for good measure. Although I keep the brooders as clean as I possibly can, I still worry.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Keep them clean, but no need to keep them sterile, they need to be exposed to the future soil so they can build the necessary immunitites to what is out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by