Feed Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl911, Jul 7, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hi I was wondering at what age do you start giving the chicks layer pellets mine are about 10 weeks old and i also have some that are 7 weeks old I know i Have a little while before i start giving them the layer pellets but just want to make sure that i start them at the right time also will it hurt if the 5 younger ones start to eat it when the older ones do they all eat out of the same feeder or should i wait to start the layer pellets when the younger ones get to the right age then start them all at the same time. Also was wondering do you give the chickens the medicated layer pellets and willt he eggs be safe to eat if i do. Also when can i give them scratch and oyster shells. I would really appreciate any help you can give me i am new to raising chickens.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Wow. That is one big question. [​IMG]

Layer pellets ~16-20 weeks.

It is better to have the younger ones on grower as long as possible, to prevent damage to their kidneys from the excess calcuim.

Scratch should wait until it is cool outside. It warms up when the chicken digests it, so wait until end of summer.

Oyster shells should be available for whenever they want to peck at it, but they probably wont be interested until they start to lay.

Medicated layer pellets are OK to eat the eggs. Lots of people don't like to, but it is no different than eating store-bought eggs.

3. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    ty so much for all the info you gave me i have one last question is it ok for me to wait to start the layer pellets until the younger ones get to 16 weks old they are about 2 to 3 weeks younger than the older ones again thank you for all the information i am new to this and i want to make sure i do everything right to keep my chicks happy. Sorry just thought of one more question i have 1 roo can he eat the layer pellets as well even though he wont be laying eggs lol or do i need to feed him something else and how do i do that and make sure he does not eat anything he is not suppose to

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yes you can wait-they do not need the extra calcuim until they are laying. The roo will be fine eating the layer pellets, it will not hurt.

5. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    ty so much for letting me know i am trying to make sure i do everything right to keep them happy and healthy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by