Feed Question

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bigspringshatchery, Sep 18, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    My royal palms are 9 weeks old today. I'm almost out of feed. This is their 2nd bag of game bird start. Do I keep them on that or what other feed. And if so how much longer?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    You should probably switch them over to a turkey grower pellet at this stage.

I bought Blue Seal brand Turkey Grower HG Medicated via mail order, but the shipping was higher than the cost of the feed by twice. When it's gone, I'm not going to be so paranoid about disease, and just switch them to the non-medicated turkey grower formula they sell at the local feed store.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We feed ours a 28% game bird starter for the first 3 months then a 20% start n grow until 5 or 6 months depending on their weight gain then a custom mix 20% layer

Steve

4. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Um, listen to him, not to me. He knows a LOT more about it than I do.

And frankly, mine are just pets, so I'm not concerned in any way with optimizing their growth or body mass, I just want them to be healthy.

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:That's exactly how we rasie ours as well

6. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:That's exactly how we rasie ours as well

Ok thanks. I'll have to check my store where I get my feed and see if they got start and grow.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

And frankly, mine are just pets, so I'm not concerned in any way with optimizing their growth or body mass, I just want them to be healthy.

Nah Denninmi, take in all the advice given, sort thru it and then decide. What works here isn't always the best thing for somebody else.

Steve

8. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009

Nah Denninmi, take in all the advice given, sort thru it and then decide. What works here isn't always the best thing for somebody else.

Steve

Well, that's kind of you to say, but I'd be willing to bet that your probably years of experience with thousands of birds most likely trumps my 3 1/2 months worth of experience with 6 turkeys.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:Nah Denninmi, take in all the advice given, sort thru it and then decide. What works here isn't always the best thing for somebody else.

Steve

Well, that's kind of you to say, but I'd be willing to bet that your probably years of experience with thousands of birds most likely trumps my 3 1/2 months worth of experience with 6 turkeys.

I started with a pair of Midget Whites. [​IMG]

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by