Feed question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Auscal, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    So many decisions LOL

SO, chick start - mash or crumbles?

medicated, or non-medicated. I have six lil peeps in my laundry brooder - should I be using medicated feed - opinions either way appreciated.

2. falinagirl

falinagirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    Arizona
    I have 6 Peeps and they are growing like weeds with Manna Pro medication feed for chicks! they are 3 weeks and a few days old and it is amazing how fast they are growing and healthy.

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I used the Manna Pro chick starter.
    If yours have not been vaccinated at the hatchery, give 'em the medicated feed.

Feed them chick starter (only) for 8 weeks.

Good luck and ENJOY your babies!!!

[​IMG]

4. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    My yard rescue is eating chick starter ground up with added antibiotics. [​IMG] Although tonight it had a heck of a time eating some soft cabbage spines - a heck of a GREAT time.

5. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    I've been giving mine chick starter mash, organic, non-medicated. However, I put apple cider vinegar (Bragg's) in their water from the get-go. I'm not fond of the low-level prophylactic antibiotics in the medicated feed for a variety of reasons, but I certainly wouldn't tell anyone else not to use it. It's rather a person-to-person decision, imo.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I prefer non-medicated chick starter crumbles.All chicks healthy and peepin' all night long! [​IMG] Ducklings too [​IMG]

7. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a local feed company called Valley Feed and it has higher protein then store bought and also costs less like $8.50 a 50lbs bag

8. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    I asked a similar question a week or so ago--when/ if to switch from medicated (w/ amprolium to prevent coci) to unmedicated. Someone explained that the chicks needed to stay on medicated until they had been exposed to dirt outside. They can't build up immunity until exposure. I think she learned this the hard way-- lost a bunch of older chicks shortly after moving them outside & in a very short time span. I understood that a specific age is not as critical as when they come in contact w/ soil. Just my 2 cents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by