feed question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by qtmomo112, Jan 23, 2013.

1. qtmomo112

qtmomo112 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Bahamas
    i just adopted 2 bobwhite and 1 coturnix quail from an unfavorable home. where we live all that is available at the feed store is chicken starter/grower which is 18% protein, chicken layer (16%) and corn and being on a small island it is difficult and costly to get anything shipped in. my question is can the starter and layer be mixed to increase the protein (if that is even possible)? thanks for any info you can give

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Mixing 16% with 18% protein will make a 17% protein food. It is not advisable to offer up male quail any layer feed as the high calcium in the feed will cause kidney problems.

If you can get a hold of any soybean or fish meal, you can add some of that to the feed. If you have a health food store there, you might find something to add to up the protein. Maybe some protein powder you can mix in the feed. Hard boiled eggs will help up the protein as will meal worms as well.

3. qtmomo112

qtmomo112 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Bahamas
    thanks. ill have to try and find something to supplement. ill start calling aroung to other islands. thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by