Feed questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bug n Flock, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Bug n Flock

Bug n Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Howdy folks. I feed a 28% protein feed I buy off Amazon, but it is pretty expensive(40$/20lb) and I fairly often get soft eggs from my Coturnix quail so end up also adding in a calcium supplement. The feed is also a high % powder, which seems wasteful as it just inspires my birds to try and kick the feed out and dustbath in it. I keep meaning to sift it and use the powder as a starter or something, but I haven't gotten around to doing it. I occasionally add in a bit of a wild bird seed mix for a treat or give them some mealworms or moths or something(I have many insectivorous pets so often have weird feeder options on hand). I have been entertaining thoughts lately of mixing in a second type of feed that would be cheaper and lower protein, but can't find anything above 17%, and that seems way too low to me, even to use as a filler. So I guess my questions are, what do you feed your birds, how much does it cost, and where do you get it?

I have been also thinking of how to get the yolks to color up, as they are a rather uninspiring yellow currently. Could I offer cracked corn or something? What options are there for feeding quail naturally?

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm pretty sure chicken yolks get brighter with greens?

Ugh that's awful about the powder and the price! Can you locate a feed store around? I'm in Canada (we don't have as many options as the states, le sigh) but I can get 25kg 20% protein layer game bird feed quite close and it's only $17 Canadian.

If you can't find "game bird feed", you may use similar Turkey feed as long as it's NOT medicated :)

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The feed stores around you will either be purina, nutrena or manna pro dealers. All have an all flock, turkey starter or game bird feed. Protein levels will range 22-30%. You might have to ask and have it special ordered in but any decent feed store will be more than happy to help you out.

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Keep in mind that most of the feeds that have enough protein usually don't have enough calcium - so even with a different feed you will likely still need to give them crushed oyster shells or similar. I believe laying coturnix hens need around 3.5% calcium.

5. jojackc

jojackc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    If you have a tractor supply around thats where I ended up getting mine from. I feed them Purina and its a 30% I pay under $20 for a 40lb bag. I have two other shops closer to me, one the highest they carry is 24% the other the guy that owns it is a jerk. So I drive the extra 10 miles.

6. jojackc

jojackc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    oh ya and I have a separate feed box with oyster/corral/egg shells in it for the extra calcium. Not sure if I am crazy but I never put their old egg shells in it. I am afraid that they might start eating their own eggs if I do that. So I only feed them chicken egg shells.

7. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I think others answered your first question already so I'll address the other. Yolk color is not an indication of egg nutritional levels. It changes based on diet but can be changed without really giving the birds a better food. If you want really dark orange yolks you can feed them marigold but it won't make the eggs any "healthier."

I feed mine game bird feed so I've never looked into mixing my own feed.

8. Bug n Flock

Jun 13, 2015
    Lot of good info here, you guys are great! The nearest feed shop is in the next state, about an hour away, and I have no car since I live in the city. But such a trip is, in my mother's eyes, an adventure. She is always up for a short road trip if theres an adventure in it (she is actually that adorable). So we will be going in a couple of weeks. Hooray!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Have you tried Petsmart? Some around me carry chicken feed.

10. Bug n Flock

Jun 13, 2015
    Yeah, the one local to me only carries starter if I remember right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by