1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Feed questions?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by devinthesaint, Jul 18, 2010.

1. devinthesaint

devinthesaint In the Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    La Mesilla, NM
    I have 9 coturnix, about 5 weeks old, they were on starter until now and the feed guy told me i needed to use scratch now. I know that's not right from everything I've read. I am keeping them for eggs and pets, I don't plan to eat the little guys. Against my better judgement and being a trusting person, I bought the scratch and have been grinding it up for them for a couple of days. It might be hard to find game feed around here. Also, what about turkey feed, would I use grower or layer? Please help!!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Need Gamebird Feed, Not Turkey, Not Chicken, Not Scratch (for Gods Sake Go Slap That Fool!) Now You Can Use Turkey Starter In A Pinch, But Its Not Quite Right(but Closest Of All Substitues) Personally Mine Eat Gamebird Starter From Hatch To Dispatch And Flourish On It... They Stay In Top Condition, Get To A Nice Healthy Weight And Maintain It Throughout Their Existance, And Lay Best On It Year Round. But You Can Cut Them Back And Place Them On A Standard Gamebird Layer Ration If You Choose--- The Purina Mills Web Site Has A Built In Dealer Locator Option To Help With Finding A Dealer In Your Area. There Are A Good Deal Of Quality Feeds Available Out There If Your Dealer Carries Another Brand....frm, Central States, Purina, Nutrena, Manna Pro All Make Gamebird Formulas Just To Name A Few..

3. devinthesaint

Jul 18, 2010
    La Mesilla, NM
    Thank you!!!...Been quite helpful and confirmed many suspicions, thanks again!!![​IMG]

4. Orpygal

Orpygal Songster

Aug 30, 2009
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    Purina is pretty generous w/coupons too if you sign up on the website. I just got an $8 one this week.

5. Quote:They do need gamebird feed. We feed chick starter if we runout before we get to the feedstore as the protien is pretty high, but I like to have at least 24% for them. They are little piggies too.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I feed my buttons Game Bird Crumbles Parakeet grit and Parakeet food every now and then as a treat oh and hard boiled eggs.

7. Robo

Robo Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I feed mine chick starter, and I get double yolk eggs.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Chick Starter is okay - but if you have access to Game Bird crumbles then you should give them that because it has more protein. Your local TSC or Gebo's or feed store might have some - you just have to ask. [​IMG]

9. devinthesaint

Jul 18, 2010
    La Mesilla, NM
    [​IMG]

pictures of my recently built coop...thanks for all the advice..I'll have some ammo when I go to the feed store tomorrow...also should I stay away from feed antibiotics?

[​IMG]

10. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    My feed store only sells game bird starter with bacitracin, it is formulated especially for quail (enteritis). I was unable to find anything unmedicated within a 2 hour drive and had no choice. Mine have done well and lay lots of eggs with good fertility and no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: