Feed recommendations

ChrissyRB

Hatching
Dec 27, 2015
Hi everyone! I had some feeding questions. I typically feed my ladies layena layer crumbles free fed, but my feed store didn't have it today. I bought farmers best layer crumble. I haven't filled their feeder bins yet because there is still food in them, but does anyone have opinions on the farmers best crumbles? As far as the ingredient list goes it looks similar to the layena, although layena has some additives that the new feed does not. I have a veterinary background and fairly extensive background in nutrition for dogs, cats and parrots but do not have as much experience with chicken feed. I have done some reading but I am having trouble finding a lot of info or reviews of the new feed I bought. Any comments would be great! Thanks in advance

welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you join us! There are a million different choices on how and what to feed. Some of us prefer not to give feed with soy in it. Some prefer no corn, and others go NO CORN NO SOY. A lot depends on their age/stage. Protein is important as is calcium later when they become layers.

What is the age of your chickens?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Most "general" layer feeds that are not specified Organic or Non GMO, have fairly the same type of ingredients....Wheat Millings, Distillers Corn, Soybean meal, etc...with vitamins and minerals added. There are however slight variations to every feed. So if you couldn't find your normal feed, what you could find will be similar. Everyone has their likes and dislikes with feeds and brands. I have never heard of Farmers Best. You might post this question in our Feeding and Watering your Flock in case someone else has been using this feed....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

Good luck and I hope this feed works out for you!! :)

:welcome   Glad to have you join us!  There are a million different choices on how and what to feed.  Some of us prefer not to give feed with soy in it.  Some prefer no corn, and others go NO CORN NO SOY.  A lot depends on their age/stage.  Protein is important as is calcium later when they become layers.

What is the age of your chickens?
Thanks! The girls are only yearlings so they are young.

Hi everyone! I had some feeding questions. I typically feed my ladies layena layer crumbles free fed, but my feed store didn't have it today. I bought farmers best layer crumble. I haven't filled their feeder bins yet because there is still food in them, but does anyone have opinions on the farmers best crumbles? As far as the ingredient list goes it looks similar to the layena, although layena has some additives that the new feed does not. I have a veterinary background and fairly extensive background in nutrition for dogs, cats and parrots but do not have as much experience with chicken feed. I have done some reading but I am having trouble finding a lot of info or reviews of the new feed I bought. Any comments would be great! Thanks in advance

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock. Protein and calcium ratio depends on age and purpose of the chicken. Just new hatchlings need an 18-20% protein and less than 2% calcium. When they are about 2 months old is when I switch them to which purpose they need to be. Meat birds will be put on a meat bird diet of 22% protein. Meat birds don't need as much calcium as a laying hen. Laying hens need about a 16% protein with a calcium about 3%. Here are pictures of the feeds I use. My chickens are for egg laying purpose so here's a picture of the laying feed I use. I also add 1kb of cracked corn for every 2lbs of laying crumbles.

Thanks everyone! My main concern is about quality of the protein sources. I have an extensive background in small animal nutrition and not all dog foods are created equal. Labels can look similar but the sources can vary in quality. I just want the best quality for my gals and of course with my history I am being a neurotic chicken mom! :) thank you everyone!

Thanks everyone! My main concern is about quality of the protein sources. I have an extensive background in small animal nutrition and not all dog foods are created equal. Labels can look similar but the sources can vary in quality. I just want the best quality for my gals and of course with my history I am being a neurotic chicken mom! :) thank you everyone!

You're welcome.

Your welcome if you have any questions feel free to ask. We'll always be here or you.

Back
Top Bottom