Feed Schedule

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by timbowsr, Oct 30, 2014.

1. timbowsr

timbowsr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    So my not so small anymore chicks are about to finish up their first 50lb. bag of starter. They are nine weeks old and I was wondering what's next. Should I keep them on starter or begin switching them over to something else. Although I'm sure it's on here somewhere, could someone please give me a what should I be feeding and when. I know there's probably no real science to it .. and maybe there is ... but these are my first chickens so any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Feed the starter until they start to lay.Then switch to a layer feed.Somewhere between 18-24 weeks.

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep them on starter/grower until they start laying, really no reason to switch...

Once they are laying you can continue with the starter/grower until they are done with that bag just offer a side of oyster shells at this time...

If you have boys and girls it's probably best to switch to an 'all flock' feed (or similar 16-18%-ish non-calcium fortified feed) and then offer a side of oyster shells for the girls... This is what I do (and most do) with their mixed flocks as the calcium is detrimental to boys and even younger non laying hens...

** Look at the percentage of the feed, not all are created equal around me some of the lower end non-medicated starter/grower feeds are only 18%, you could realistically feed this indefinitely... But if your starter is one of the better 20%+ or so feeds, it's best to find something with a little less protein as they age...

4. timbowsr

timbowsr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Sounds good, thanks for the input. I was asking because I have about a 1/4 or a little less of the old bag, and if I needed to swap I figured it would be a good time to start "weaning" over to the new feed. But ... I'll leave 'em on starter until we get an egg! Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by