Feed storage Ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmerbrowne, Jul 28, 2013.

1. farmerbrowne

farmerbrowne Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy y'all,
    I made a divider wall in my coop so I can store various items and the feed, but am not sure what I should use for feed storage. my "spare room" storage area is 2'3" by 1'9". what have others done? pics would be amazing! thank you y'all

2. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I have no inside storage so my feed is in metal trash cans that are under the roof of my run, behind lock and key. Anything else (wood, plastic) will eventually be chewed through by mice or rats.

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Tractor supply sells small galvanized garbage cans for $19.99 that just hold 50 lbs. of feed. I just bought another one yesterday. Now I have1 for feed and 1 for scratch grains. Just a note. If you leave it outside, you will want to use something to secure the top...like a tight bungee from handle to handle across the top. Raccoons are very adept at prying garbage can lids off.

4. kimmerjo

kimmerjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    I know it wouldn't fit in your space available but I plan on using an old refrigerator laid on its back the freezer part for scratch and fridge for grain. The cool thing is it have child proof locks on it.

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Quote: I use these too, and have learned that for me it is easier to store the bag of feed in the bag in the can. Less chance of moisture spoiling the feed, as happened to me once when a driving rain go into the lid. Had the bag been in there the feed would probably have been ok.

Quote:
    Lol. This reminds me that two years ago, I had a bear that couldn't figure out how to undo the two bungee cords that I had going from the bottom rim across the lid, under the lid-handle and back to the bottom. He resorted to bending the lid and helping himself to the sunflower seeds inside. He first carried/rolled the bin up the hill for about 150 yards, before tackling the lid and spilling the seeds everywhere. Next spring we had sunflower seedlings come up everywhere in the woods! Of course they didn't have enough light so they didn't make it and the deer ate most of them.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by