Feed storage to keep mites out

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by speedyfuzzball, Nov 11, 2013.

1. speedyfuzzball

speedyfuzzball Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    I am so grossed out right now. I went to refill my chickens food and found grain mites everywhere!!! I keep the 50 lb bag in the basement and a large pitcher of feed next to the back door to refill the food. I refill the pitcher when it runs out. I see mites all over the pitcher and the bag. Im going out to buy new food now but I would really appreciate some advice on how to store feed so it won't become infested with these nasty things. I was thinking air tight containers but where would I find an air tight container to fit 50 lb of feed. Also doesn't help that it's my parents house and I can't have them find out. Also how do I get rid of them and make sure they don't get into the new bag. The old one will be thrown out

2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    I store my feed in five gallon buckets. (Takes two to hold a bag of feed.) After I pour it into the buckets, I sprinkle a half-cup of DE on top and shake it down a bit, then put the lid on. Haven't had a bug problem since I started doing this -- used to get weevils pretty often.

3. skippyscage

skippyscage Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    I use those small blue barrels that many companies throw away with seal-able lockable tops.

Mine come from a company that makes vitamin pills - they get the raw materials in these containers and either throw them away or sell them on for $10-15 (all are food grade)

I use them to keep BOSS, grain, feed, DE, sand and pine shavings - they are water-tight as well, so can be stored anywhere.

The photo shows a couple outside the old coop on the right. They are the best things ever for storage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. speedyfuzzball

speedyfuzzball Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks guys
    I tried at Home Depot for the 5 gallon buckets but it seems they don't have the lid? How can I be sure the DE is safe for consumption? They can't label it as food grade if it really isn't right?
    The blue barrels sound like a good idea too but I have no idea where to find companies like that. I don't think I have a vitamin company near me?
    How long will these mites live on their own without food? They're in my basement :( I'm leaving the new bag of feed outside for now

5. Melinda48

Melinda48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    Go to a local deli or sandwich shop and ask for a pickle bucket. They are white, 5 gallon, food grade and free!

6. Melinda48

Melinda48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    We keep our feed in a 20 gallon galvenized trash can. Works like a dream.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by