Feed store accidentally gave me mash....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by itsy, Jul 14, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I normally feed the layers Southern State layer crumbles, but we opened this new bag and realized they accidentally gave us mash.

Am I supposed to add water to this? How much per cup of mash would you say? Is it supposed to be soupy? Like a wet toothpaste?

I know the ladies aren't going to eat it like this. It's so bran-ny.

It's got a percentage less protein and a little more calcium.......

Thanks!

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Recently, I accidently received crumbles instead of pellets, and asked about it here, too...so I've been mostly mixing it with liquid until it's like thick mashed potatoes.

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Our crumbles are large enough that they'll eat them just like that.

This mash on the other hand looks like it's mostly wheat bran. It's too loose/fine for me to think anyone would eat it.

Anyone have any input on watering it down? If it's watered down, how long will it last before it spoils? I'm assuming it'll need to be changed more frequently if they don't eat all of it.

4. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I used to feed crumbles but switched to pellets, and years ago laying mash was the standard feed around here, so everybody fed it.

They'll eat the mash but there's waste. The waste is the reason I switched to pellets, and the reason I wet the crumbles that I received by accident until they get through the bag and go back on pellets.

It's hot here, so I wet mine fresh for each feeding and remove anything not eaten within an hour or less.

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My Grandma fed her chickens nothing but mash right out of the barrel. She always had 2 different flocks of 200 birds each. We never mixed water with it.

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Mash is just a mix of milled grains. You feed it like it is. It's not supposed to be made into porridge.

That's all we feed around here.

7. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks, everyone!

Alls I know is that they turned their noses up at it tonight. lol.

I suppose it'll take some getting used to. I'd give it to the meat birds (who will eat anything) but the formula is all wrong for them.

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Any time you change ANYTHING that a chicken is used to, food or surroundings, it take a few days for them to come around. They're just being chickens!When I added a 'swimming pool' to the run, they avoided it like the plague for 4 or 5 days... now you can't keep them out of it. One of my RIRs actually cleans out any straw or sticks that get kicked into it! Good Girl!!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  9. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:That's so cute! LOL

When I fed mash I never wet it either, but I believe it wouldn't do any harm to wet it, as long it's fresh each time.

When they were switched to pellets they didn't care much for it at first, but I've never known a chicken to starve itself to death, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by