Feed store bantams in northern IL or southern WI

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Sword, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Does anyone know of any feed stores that sell bantam chicks in northern IL or southern WI? I know the Tractor Supply store in Carpentersville sells chicks, but the clerk I talked to on the phone didn't know what bantams were or if they get them.

2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I would ask to speak with the manager or the person who orders the chicks. The clerks usually know

very little I have found. Some feed stores will even do special orders if you ask.

3. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    First of all Hello and Welcome! [​IMG] I saw your post and wanted to comment. I live south of this store and recently checked out where it was. I happen to live closer the Farm and Fleet in Montgomery, IL so I shop there. F&F gets their chicks from Cackle Hatchery. In all the visits I made to that store I never saw bantam chicks only large fowl. They also carried turkeys and ducks too. I bought my bantams from McMurray Hatchery.

4. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    I've seen them at both the Tractor Supply in Harvard and the Farm and Fleet in Woodstock.

The Farm and Fleet in Belvidere does not "stock" chicks, you order exactly what you want (they order from cackle) and you pick up the chicks on specific days. I believe they have two or three delivery dates. This is a great way to get a few chicks.

5. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Thanks for all the replies!I'll have to check those places out.[​IMG] Has anyone been to The Feed Store in Summit Argo? The clerk I talked to seemed to think "bantam" meant "laying hen" (I'm going to try calling again at a busier time when the manager will hopefully be around)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by