1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed Store Chick Buying Guide

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by torilovessmiles, Mar 13, 2016.

1. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I noticed a lot of people on a facebook group I'm in having some trouble with chicks at feed stores and not being sure what they have. I decided to write a guide on my blog about feed store chicks! I hope it helps some people! I'm just going to post the link here because I don't want to copy-paste the whole thing. http://backyard-barnyard.blogspot.com/2016/03/feed-store-chick-buying-guide.html

I hope this can help someone! :) Happy Chick Days! [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Great article :) Too bad feed stores can't post something like that to help folks out!

3. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Thank you!

4. mosleym

mosleym Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2015
    That was a very good article! I would have loved to have this when o started out last year, very easy to understand! Great job!

5. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Thanks! I hope I help some newbies out! I was lucky to walk away with red sexlinks when I first got them. I had no idea what I was doing!

1 person likes this.
  6. PuBertJr

PuBertJr New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    Great articl. Wish I had this info this afternoon before I ordered my chicks. Going to see if I can change it tomorrow.

7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You should print that and ask to hand it out at feed stores. Love it

8. torilovessmiles

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I'm happy you guys like it! I also shared it on reddit and got a few comments from first-time buyers that it was helpful! Hopefully I saved someone the heartache of raising a cornish X only to find out it's purpose and fate!

9. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    There could be a part 2 about how to pick out individual healthy chicks from the feed store!

Are there pics of your coop? The color and trim look so cool that I wanted to see more of it. I just found the pic of the cut-out heart steps.

10. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I think its definitely a good thing youre helping people out :) and i agree about part 2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by