Feed Store Chicks-- Gender? UPDATED PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GentlyLiving, Mar 26, 2012.

1. GentlyLiving

GentlyLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    So... These are my first chicks (yay!!!). I got them from the feed store down the road. I ordered two barred rocks and four araucanas. I did research before I bought my chicks so I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be getting real araucanas from the feed store, but I don't really mind. So what I am wondering is are these Easter Egger chicks? Also they were sexed chicks but I have my doubts about a couple of them. Can you spot any roos?

Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Anyone?

3. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    One, three and four look a lot like my Ameraucanas. The second one doesn't have the characteristic beard that Ameraucanas have. I also can't tell what its comb looks like. Ameraucanas have a pea comb.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You are correct, these are definitely EE chicks (Green/willow legs are the giveaway, Ameraucanas have slate legs). You need to give them another couple of weeks before you can ID gender for certain.

They're cute, congrats!

5. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    Maybe I misread your question -- I'm not sure there are certain traits for "EE"s other than egg color, which you won't be able to tell for a few months (assuming you have hens there). Perhaps someone else can correct me.

6. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    Just got corrected! Now I know that EEs have green legs. Learning is fun.

7. Jeanette13

Jeanette13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Ohio
    There's a member named Illia who breeds true Araucanas, maybe she could tell from your pictures. I'm still new to chickens, so I don't have any experience with these fancy breeds[​IMG]
    They are very cute, congratulations and enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  8. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Thanks! Here is a shot of #2's head. I think there is a comb starting?[​IMG]

9. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Females have combs too, just not as huge as males. I don't see anything particularly boyish about your EE chicks, but in a few weeks, you will have a better idea.
    Very Cute!
    I just got my first EE's too! [​IMG]

10. GentlyLiving

Jan 20, 2012
    Thanks. I am just super nervous about getting a rooster. I am not allowed to have them in this area and really I don't think my neighbors would be very happy that I have chickens at all (though I am allowed to have hens). Just don't want to have someone start crowing and get the neighbors upset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by