Feed Store Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ggrap, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    I usually buy chicks from a hatchery, and I know that is where the stores get them as well.

This year I bought several batches from a hatchery and one from a feed store.

The mortality rate on the feed store chicks, is the highest I have ever had. Usually I don't lose them after 3 days or so. But they are still coming up with problems even a month later. And the problems are different. Just 2 days ago, one just died for no apparent reason. And today I have one that is not using her legs all of a sudden.

Any body have an opinion on this?

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Mereck's? I seem to be having a similiar problem.I bought 8 from TSC and have lost two in the past week.My others I got from Welp Hatchery and are doing fine.Hope someone can help you! It's so frustrating!!!

3. ggrap

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    My others were from Welp and did fine. What is weird is that it is various problems I am having with the feedstore chicks. Had 100 of them, and lost a bunch right in the first few days.

Not doing anything differently than I did with the other birds.

4. Chickiezz

Chickiezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    I got 5 from TSC and 2 of them were bantams and they died. The reason is that the ducklings we got from TSC got them wet from the water so they got chilled and died. [​IMG] They were my favorite! We traded our 2 RI red chicks to a friend and got 2 Juvinile Ausralorps so we have 1 chick left! She is some kind of yellow Pullet chick? The sign didn't say what kind, it just said "Pullet". Anyways, she is very healthy, and so friendly! I don't know what to name her though. These are our first chicks! [​IMG]
    p.s we have 3 ducklings too that are healthy....I wondered why your died....weird?

5. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I got 6 chicks from TSC. I think they are golden comets. That was Saturday and they are doing fine. I have always bought mine from the feed store, this year they did not have any. And I have only lost 1. I always bought extra, because I figured I would lose some. I feel I have been very lucky. Oh, and I did lose 3 meat chickens, because I did not know I had to process them so early.

So, my experience is good with the feed store that I use.

6. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    This is the second year I have bought chicks from TSC. They have all been healthy. I'm so sorry you are losing babies. Maybe it has something to do with the individual stores not caring for them properly?

7. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I believe that shipping stress can cause long term problems. I picked my second batch of chick from the hatchery and they were home the same evening that they hatched. No shipping overnight, no store clerk feeding them and not being handles by the masses of hands that grab at them in the stores. This second batch of chicks have grown faster and been more active than my first. Just my opinion. Hope you don't loose more.

8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    It's hard to pass up some peeps at the feed store but it's almost wise to do so in my experience.So sorry to hear of all your lost bidies.I know it's difficult lossing them.I just seperated my hatchery birds from the ones I got from TSC just in case it's an outbreak.Hope all your others are ok!

9. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered my chicks from Cackle and they were delivered to the feed store for pick up....I havent lost a chick yet and they are 3 weeks old today.....

10. ggrap

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    This has been a bad week for my chicks. I went in this morning and 2 more can't walk. Is this Merecks? What should I do?

I will never get them from the store again, maybe this was unusual but I won't risk it again. From Welp at least, I know mine are next day because they come from New Mexico to Colorado. I get called from the distribution center the next day, and drive the 20 minutes to get them.

Not only is losing them upsetting but it is a financial loss as well. These were the most expensive ones I bought, at over $3.50 a piece.

I bought 100. I lost at least 10 in the first few days. Tried different things, like adding more lamps, feeders...

Besides the unknown just dying, I have had crossed beaks, cocci in 10 more (half died). And now the inability to use the legs. I don't use medicated feed, but I didn't in my earlier batches either. Now the month olds are all on antibiotics in the water for the cocci prevention, because they were exposed.

Thanks for reading. Any advice will be helpful. This stinks.

PS I think when you order them to be delivered to the store, that is more like when they go to the PO. Your order is separate from the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by