1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed store chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alwayswantchics, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Alwayswantchics

Alwayswantchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    Do feed stores tend to order straight runs or pullets?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It depends. I know, at least for Tractor Supply, they just get what the hatcheries send them. They don't really order anything or know for sure when a shipment is coming in, they kind of just get what they get. I know mine always has the red sex link pullets, and then they occasionally get other sexed pullets in various breeds, usually leghorns and amberlinks and black sex links, but they did get some sexed new hampshire reds this week. They do mark the bins as to whether the chicks are sexed or not, so you'll know before you buy them.

3. Pennington722

Pennington722 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    I was wondering about TS bins as well. I was under the impression that pullets always meant female. We got 6 chicks from TS that was marked "red pullets" because we are wanting all girls to start, but I had a friend who said that there is a chance for a roo out of that batch because they weren't marked "Female Red Pullets." Can anyone help clear this up for me?

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    They are 100% all girls. Pullets mean female. Sometimes, when a bird is vent sexed, a sexer can make a mistake and a male can be called a female. 90% of the time, or that's what's guaranteed by most hatcheries, they get it right and it's female. 10% of the time, however, they mess up and it's a male. This is not possible with the red sex links - they're actually bred so that males and females hatch different colors, making mistakes impossible. So all your girls really are girls, don't worry about that :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. NWCreolelady

NWCreolelady New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    Auburn, Washington
    We went to a seminar yesterday at a local feed store and were told that although the bins are marked pullets, that it's an 80% chance they're all females. We have 12 new chicks, so it will be interesting to see if they are all pullets. Looks like from what I've read so far, this is standard.

6. sckuntry

sckuntry New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    You can tell the sex of a baby chick by looking at their wings. The length of the feathers there will tell you the difference. If the feathers are the same length they are male and if they are not they are females. This is the case with most all breeds of chickens. This way you can tell the difference at even day 1.
    This is how they vent (sex) baby chicks at the big hatcheries. I hope this is helpful. This system can be used on breeds that are not different colors at birth such as sex links.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by