Feed Store Finds! What Could They Be???

pooderpie77

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
Hello All!

I got these two girls at a local feed store.At least I hope they are both girls! They are around 4 months I'm guessing.They were to be around five days to a week when I got them. I was wondering if any one could identify any possible breeds they could be. I think the black and white could be a barred rock. The brown I'm not sure.I thought maybe she could have some kind of game breed. She is very nervous and flighty. I'm worried she is not going to be a good layer because she is so nervous. I'm guessing they are mixed breeds and I'm guessing they are both females. The feed store was not very helpful. He told me that you can't sex chickens and if a hatchery says they can they are lying. So I think he probably doesn't know much. I know it's not always a sure thing, but I do know they can sex them. Anyway any thoughts??

Thanks!!

chickens010.jpg

chickens001.jpg

The black and white one could be a barred rock, i know that there are other breeds that look like this. I think this one is a hen. That is a general guess. I am pretty sure that the red/brown one is a partridge rock and a hen. I have some, mine are only 5 weeks but my roo has a very prominant comb and he is starting to get wattles. Yours looks just like my partridge rock hens.
Kristyne

Last edited:
Feedstores are woefully ignorant, I can tell you. YES, the hatchery can sex chickens to a 90% accuracy. It's an art, but it can be done. It does look like a Barred Rock, if that's a single comb, and perhaps a Partridge Rock. I'm not sure about that one, but it isn't a game breed.

The Black and white one looks like a Barred Rock or Dominique. Depending on the comb. Barred Rocks have Single combs, Dominiques have rose combs. The other is looks like a Partridge Wyandotte or Partridge Rock. Partridge Wyandottes have rose combs, Partridge Rocks have single combs.

Heh! I was going to say the black and white one looks like a cuckoo maran to me. Doesn't the barred rock have more distinct stripes?

Ellen

Quote:
It could be a cuckoo maran but I thought they was pretty rare. I doubt A feed store would carry them. I don't believe they are that well known.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies so quickly!! The black and white does have a single comb and the feedstore guy called it a barred rock. But considering the other awful info he gave I wasn't sure if I could trust his judgement. If the little brown girl does turn out to be a partrige rock what are their personalities like? Are they good layers or are they meat birds? If she doesn't lay good I dont know if I can replace her or not. She is so silly but I've gotten quite attached to her. I think I'll remame her Spaz. My children named her Spring but Spaz is def. more fitting! Thanks again!!

My partridge rocks are gentle and wonderful. They are supposed to be good layers. They are a heavy breed and can be used for meat as well. They will lay brown eggs. Congrats on your new chickens. How old are they?
Kristyne

Quote:
I'm guessing they are around 4 months maybe. The feedstore said they were about 5 or six days old when I got them. So that would put them around 4 months old maybe a little less. I've got three more day old chicks coming on weds. I'm getting two BOs and a RIR. I'm excited,I think I'm catching the chickenitis. They are so much fun and relaxing. I love just to sit on my porch and watch them in the yard. My husband just finished the house for them. We built it from two very large crates that some artwork came in. We screwed them together made a door way in between the two. Added some vents and big doors for easy cleaning. We still have to paint and build a run. For now these two sleep in a cat carrier over night and go into a makeshift pen for the day or freerange if I'm home and can watch them. I just wish they were a little more easy to handle. Oh well we are determined to handle the new ones as much as possible.

Kirstie

Quote:
It could be a cuckoo maran but I thought they was pretty rare. I doubt A feed store would carry them. I don't believe they are that well known.

The top pic shows four yellow legs, so it's most likely not a Cuckoo Marans (unless it's from poor SQ stock). Also, the barring can be really hard to go by -my CMs are much darker and "blurrier" than the bird in the pic, but some CMs can be light with tight barring. But either way, it's much more likely that it's a Barred Rock.

The other looks like a Partridge Wyandotte, due to the rose comb. They both should be nice egg layers and decent eating (if need be) since they are considered a dual-purpose bird. They look very pretty and happy!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom