Feed store is out of oyster shell. Need calcium alternative for the next week

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FowlWitch, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:34 PM.

1. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    I had to order shell online and it won't arrive for a week. I can feed the hens back their egg shells, but I'm not sure I have enough available for them. What else can I offer them? Would crushed Tums be okay as a temporary fix?

Lark60 likes this.
  2. Newchickenguy84

Newchickenguy84 Chirping

May 15, 2018
    NE TN
    Are the egg shells thin right now? If not they could go for a while with out the shells. If your water is like mine, I have a lot of calcium in my water.

FowlWitch likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Assuming you haven't had any shell issues they'll do fine without supplementing until your new bag gets there.

FowlWitch likes this.
  4. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    They'll be fine without, yeah. I'd offer eggshell in case they want it, still, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I really would not feed them Tums.

FowlWitch likes this.
  5. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    I have girl with thin shells because she always lays 2 eggs at a time. The first egg is fine but the second egg is poorly shelled. They do have layer feed, but I'm trying to make sure her system isn't strained.

6. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Crushed limestone works the same as oyster shell.

7. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    I'd probably have to go hunt that down somewhere. I live in a somewhat isolated area, so driving around to find things is kind of a pain lol sorry. I can get some plain chalk at the grocery store. Would dissolving that in water and offering it separately from their primary water source be okay?

8. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Some of the feed stores carry crushed limestone listed as grit. It cannot substitute for grit but works fine as a substitute for oyster shell.

Chalk is calcium carbonate. Just crush some up and offer it free choice.

Hens on layer feed often can get by without supplemental oyster shell. If one has a tendency to soft shell eggs, it can have as much to do with low vitamin D levels as anything else. In your case it is most likely due to laying eggs in too short of a time span.

FowlWitch likes this.
  9. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    I have them on layer feed. She had oyster grit yesterday and laid an egg with almost no shell - it was so thin it crushed under my figer tips when I picked it up. I'm hopeful all she needs is vitamin D, otherwise I have a suspicion she may have some kind of issue with her reproductive organs

R2elk likes this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well if she is a new layer don't really worry. Her egg machine is a bit wonky..Definitely you can wait for the shipment of oyster shell.

FowlWitch likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: