Feed store shopping list

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LVchicks, Feb 1, 2013.

1. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Chicks are coming in a little less than 2 weeks. I am headed to the feed store to get supplies.

-chick starter (w/antibiotic)
    -grit

What else?

shavings I'll get at Petco and Bragg's ACV at HEB.

What are the other "must have on hand when chicks arrive" essentials?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I take it you have a brooder and heat lamp ready? Then just paper towels to put on top of the shavings for the first few days. Enjoy your chicks!

3. LVchicks

Jan 28, 2013
    heat lamp, brooder, feeder and waterer...check

[​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Only thing missing now is some fluffy butts!

5. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    My babes are due on the 6-8th, so close!
    I ordered their feed 2 weeks ago, he called and said it would be here on the 8th [​IMG] I'm freaking out, means I have to get feed I don't want to feed to feed them for the day GRR!!!

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    if you are using medicated feed you can get that at TSC. I always use non-medicated, my feed store had order it, but now they keep it stock. If you are getting it from a feed store it shouldn't take two weeks to get feed. Mine had it in a couple days..

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you can, you might look into getting shavings at your feed store too. You are going to pay an outrageous price for those pretty little packages at Petco compared to what you will pay for a bale of shavings from the feedstore. Most feed stores sell kiln dried, screened shavings (meaning less dust) that are just fine for chicks.

You might also pick up a couple packets of Save-A-Chick while you are there too. It's a vitamin/electrolyte supplement for chicks and it really perks them up after the stress of shipping.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Don't freak out, not something to stress about. [​IMG] Any good chick starter you can get from the feed store will tide them over until your ordered feed comes in.

9. LVchicks

Jan 28, 2013
    This is what I used to get from Petco for my guinea pigs. It's a HUGE bag, $12-$14
    http://www.petco.com/product/117368...g-for-Small-Animals.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I'll be straw at the feed store, for sure. Petco really jacks you for straw and hay. I can get a BALE of hay for what you buy a little bag for at Petco.

My TSC had medicated and unmedicated chick feed in a variety of brands and sizes. Most of it was unmedicated.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That huge bag says it's two cubic feet. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure the bag of compressed shavings I get from the Grange is over ten cubic feet? And only around ten dollars or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by