Feed Store Trip... (WHO COULD RESIST?!) + Pictures Added!

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
None of you that's for sure!!!

Hahaha.

Went to the local feed store today with a friend, neither of us had intentions of getting chicks...

We all know how THAT story goes! LOL!

I got a Rhode Island Red from the pullet bin, along with a DARKLY marked Easter Egger pullet! Both just arrived today from Belt and we watched for a while to see the activity and such of the chickies. The RIR girl was definately healthy, and energetic! The Easter Egger was lively as well, so they came home! Well sort of
wink.png

My friend acquired a few chicks herself, another EE and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. They are adorable and so little. My friend is brooding my chooks until they are old enough to go outside, and then they will be coming home with me! I am so excited.

My birthday is in two days (26th) so this was a GREAT birthday present!!! I already named the little RIR "Red" and until she is big she will be called "Little Red". No name for the Easter Egger yet. I have a brand new 8x8 foot coop and only 4 laying hens, so I wanted to get a few more to fill the empty space
wink.png
I think 6 hens should be comfortable in a 8x8 coop, the weather here is pretty mild/moderate too
smile.png

I am so tickled pink! I am on my way now to visit Little Red and the Unnamed EE! Will post pictures ASAP.

Last edited:
Hey happy birthday Kalie! And thanks for the PM, I am also beginning construction of a new coop in a couple of weeks and will keep you updated!

Great choices of chicks! I just love the name Red for an RIR... it just seems to fit ya know? LOL.

Also, do you have a pic of your completed new shed? The interior too? I don't think that I've seen it!

I just got my 25 chicks and 2 turkey poults shipped from Belt today too!
love.gif
Our RIR's and EE's could be sisters! They are all doing awesome, in fact I just went to the barn to look at them. I will be sure to post pics tomorrow, and this is expected of you too, you know?
tongue.png

My local feed store gets ITS delivery from Belt Hatchery tomorrow!!
jumpy.gif

I'm planning to get three pullets for myself: Welsummer, RIR, and Speckled Sussex. Plus two BR pullets for my girlfriend. Notice I used the term "planning". Any bets on how many I REALLY come home with?
celebrate.gif

I just hatched 4 BCM chicks yesterday and today, so these will be able to go right in the brooder with them! Now that's "planning".
lau.gif

Congrats!!! It's so fun to bring new babies home. This is my first time with chicks and they are sooo fun I can't believe it. Unfortunately in my area all of the feed stores around me that I have been to have not so great looking chicks. We went to one today and looked and my son was like "is that a dead chick" and I looked and all that was left was some fuzz and legs sticking up. It was alone in an empty brooder. Then the other place we went they all looked sick and almost a whole brooder had pasty butt. We found ours at an Ace Hardware, and they were super clean and all healthy looking. They get shipments every Thursday, so if I need chicks again I will probably go there or to someone who has them in their backyard.
Michele

Those little puffballs really suck you in. I went to pick up scratch grains Tuesday and saw the chicks. I really "needed" two or four new pullets. Today I went back and got 2 BSL, 2 EE, 2 BR, 1 RIR and 1 NHR. Right 2 or 4 so I came home with 8. Is that the beginning of the dreaded chicken math?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom