1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed stores near Phila, PA? Or do I have to order online?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AGinPA, Feb 29, 2008.

1. AGinPA

AGinPA Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    Does anyone live in the Philadelphia area? I'm having a hard time finding a feed store that's less than an hour and a half away. I'd love to find a feed store in southeastern PA, northern Delaware or southern Jersey. Not many people keep chickens around here and I'm having trouble finding supplies and food. I can't order our long awaited chicks until I've got this sorted out.

If I end up having to order most things online, what's the best place for buying individual grains and other supplies online?

Thanks!

2. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    There is an Agway in Burlington on Rt. 130. Thats where I get mine.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are you right in Phila? I am about 2 hours north of you, but was going to suggest a Tractor Supply store. You can usually search online to see if there is one close. There are many Agways as well, but not sure how close they would be to you. We use a mom & pop feed store that is I believe the oldest grain mill in PA, but I am quite a distance from Phila.

Jody

4. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    i'm about 15 min from the ww bridge there are at least 5 with in 30 min of me. pm me with where you are and i'll give you names and directions from where you are

5. AGinPA

Jan 2, 2008
    I'm about 20 minutes southwest of Philadelphia, just off 95. I know I could go west to Lancaster County but that's over an hour and I wouldn't normally drive that way. North of the city will probably be too far. I'll check on the Agway in Burlington and see how far that is. I guess I'm going to have to travel a bit. I'm definitely a suburban girl and feed stores are all new territory for me. I didn't even know the names to look for. So thanks for helping the rookie!

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Theres got to be a lot of feed stores around you. With all the horse farms around there, you should have no problem finding a feed store. Contact Purina and find out what they have near you. Also check Blue Seal, I think they have dealers around there.

7. AGinPA

Jan 2, 2008
    I'm in the middle of suburban-land. No farms, no animals. People are going to think I'm nuts for keeping chickens! I plan to keep very quiet about it. All the farmland is way west, and the suburbs just keep creeping along and getting rid of what open space there used to be. I know there used to be 2 feed stores within half an hour but they're both gone now.

None of the Purina locations in PA are particularly near (thank you for the link though.) I think NJ may be my best bet, especially since I tend to travel that way anyway.

I'm really appreciating all the input.

8. Nick

Nick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    I usually go here:

http://damingersnaturalpetfoods.com/

In the Woodstown area you can also find Agway and Ice & Coal supplies that sell feed. I'll look for something closer to the Delaware bridges.

9. renegadechic2

renegadechic2 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hi my name is Debbie. I live in Philadelphia and I have four hens. I recently found a feed store near the Granite run mall. It is a great place for most of your needs (chickens, horses, cats, dogs, etc). It is called Tobin's Feed and Seed. If you take West Chester Pike going pass Newtown Square, PA, continue to 352. Make a left onto 352 and continue for a few miles. Tobin's will be on your right. Not sure where you would be coming from but, their phone number is: 610-459-2305. Maybe they can give you an alternate route. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by