Feed Substitute for GMO Corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Barry Natchitoches, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have been thinking about mixing my chickens' feed myself, in order to get away from GMO garbage in the feed.

We grow some great southern peas in this area of the country, and I know I can substitute southern peas for GMO soybeans in basic chicken feed recipes for protein.

But what can I use to substitute for GMO corn as a carbohydrate? I have been told that milo aka grain sorghum will work, but I can't find anybody who sells it around here -- and I'm in West Tennessee, which used to be the area of the country that grew the most grain sorghum in the US.

What else can be used as a carb in the chicken feed formula?

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Organic corn is non GMO.
    I only feed 10% corn.. IMO it is not that big of a deal, as long as you have things like wheat, oats and so forth. Popcorn is non GMO, Millet too.
    (millet is in cheap bird food mixes)
    Corn has the amino acid Lysine.. Maybe research what other grains have lysine..

ON

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Indian corn maybe?

4. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    I too am in west TN. I experimented this year to see if I could harvest a crop of two different Indian corns. I had great success with Painted Mountain and Earth Tone Dent. No close by coons which stole my crops in previous years (different location) and no severe insect problems. The kernels on the dent corn are too large for my hens it seems, they pick them up them and spit them out. Don't have a grain mill of any sort so will take a hammer to them I guess. That's how I am trying to get away from GMO. Also grew Mississippi Silver peas this year with intent to eat some ourselves and harvest dried for the ladies. Will increase planting of both next year as both did well for me.

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    You can get a cheap hand grinder on ebay for under $30... (Really it is worth it..[​IMG])

My 7 year old "quit" on me so I took the handle off and hooked up my slow speed drill.. I know spend maybe an hour every two weeks grinding the grains that "need" to be ground.
    ON

6. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    Thanks for the tip on the hand grinder, cause I haven't actually hammered any yet. Something else for carbohydrates I've grown is broom corn, to my understanding it is a variety of sorgum and was a no care crop. I is also a good winter boredom feed when hung from the ceiling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by