Feed Swapping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrbstephens, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm working on integrating my 4 (1 year old) hens and my 6 (4 month old) pullets. The hens have pretty much stopped any pecking. Once in a while a pullet will get a warning, but mostly they are just scared (chicken [​IMG] ). I have a small house for the pullets to sleep in and a larger hen house for the hens to sleep in. They are now sharing the same run and the doors remain open in both the pullet and hen houses which is where the feed is. The hens have starting coming into the pullet house and are eating their grower feed. One hen even made herself cozy on their roost and was getting ready to sleep when I kicked her out! Now today, the pullets are starting to be more brave and explore the hen house and they are starting to eat their layer pellets. The hens have slowed egg production and I don't know if it's due to their eating the grower feed rather than their layer pellets or if it's because the temperature has been in the high 90s the last couple of days. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. mrbstephens

[​IMG]

3. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you will be fine. The pullets are getting up there in age and will be on your layer feed before too long.

4. mrbstephens

Quote:What about the hens eating the chick grower and the slowed egg production? I just bought this 50 lb back of grower feed. Wonder if it stores well?

5. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

Weather is probably your culprit on slow egg production, the heat will do it. Go ahead and use the grower you have and when you can start mixing the two for the pullets get use to the layer. Only difference I can see is the % of the protein of the two feeds.

6. mrbstephens

Quote:nevermind!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  7. mrbstephens

Quote:Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by