feed the livestock laws

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by quickchickie, Sep 30, 2012.

1. quickchickie

quickchickie New Egg

Jul 4, 2010
    alliance ohio
    hello
    i have a small mini farm i have called many resturaunts about getting there scraps to supplement the high cost of feed. im not asking for table scraps but leftovers and prep items,ie;lettuce,celery,carrots,any and all vegatables plus . i am told they are not allowed,im not getting anywhere on thisi have contacted the atty general mike dewine,stark county health dept,ohio agriculture green feed and seed now animal health does anyone know if there are restrictions or laws that pertaining to this. maybe i can get a letter of consent .so much food is going to waste and it being put in dumps just makes the rats getter fatter.those of us mini farmers would benefit from this very much.and help keep the city green.any suggestions to help. so far no one i have contacted know of this situation.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    The reason has to do with liability. Plus there is no obligation on the part of any company to give away their waste.

3. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    If you are not above dumpster diving, once it is in the dumpster it is considered abandoned.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

You might want to fact check this. Dumpsters outside a store are private property & "dumpster diving" could result in a trespassing charge

5. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    Agree, you should check the laws where you live.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's not likely you're going to get anybody to give you anything.
    The laws are too strict, and you seem to be expecting them to seperate their waste just for you.

Even places that allow it require it to be cooked before feeding animals

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by