Feed turning to powder.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigspringshatchery, Oct 23, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I have some chick starter that's turning to powder in the bottom of the feeder. What causes this? It's purina chick starter if that matters. I dont think it's getting wet but I'm having to throw out so much feed.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Any chance you have bugs in it?

Some bage are more powdery. Someone posted once it was the end of the run bags.

Imp

3. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    No bugs. The food is fine when I fill the feeder. But say a day later it's like a powder.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    They will learn to eat it also, some food just doesn't "hold together" as well as other. Just think of it like mash, don't throw it away. [​IMG] (as long as its not moldy or wet etc)

5. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:Ok. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with it. They already waste enough just being chicks and then the feed so I'll just leave it so they can eat it. Thanks.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My chickens will eat the powder at the bottom of the feeder.

You could wet it and give it to them in small quantities, but it will mold and possibly kill them if you don't throw out the wet feed after one day.

7. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Try adding some hot water to the powder, enough to make a crumbly dough the consistency of cookie dough. You can use leftover water from boiling vegetables for dinner (lots of vitamins!), gravy, old milk, yogurt... anything liquidy.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chicks are probably picking out all the crumble bits and leaving the "powder" behind.

9. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:My dad owns a store and the milk man gives my grandfather the old milk to give to his dogs so I might have to get some and do this.

10. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

When my girls were chicks, I used the powder from the starter on top of the yogurt to get them to try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by