Feed Variation

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fireflyhatchery, Mar 12, 2013.

1. fireflyhatchery

fireflyhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been raising chicks since last year and have always fed them chick starter feed but then I had a neighbor who wanted to buy some organic eggs. Since chick starter is medicated that wasn't what he wanted so I got to thinking...how else can you feed a chick. I tried some different feeds from crushed corn to fodder but the best thing I have found so far is just whole wheat flour and corn meal with water to make a pancake sort of mix [​IMG] Its awfully wierd but they love it, every time I feed now it is a fight for every scrap of batter they can get and I think actually grow faster! If anyone has any different variation I would love to here about it as long as it is organic.

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Well --- If you are feeding them Corn Meal & wheat flour they are getting a protein level of feed that is somewhere around 8 or 9 percent protein. Normal Chick Starter is like 18%. They are not getting the nutrition they need for good development.
    If you were to feed un-medicated chick starter mixed with water,, like you do the Corn/Wheat, they will eat it just as fast, I've done it, the gobble the stuff up.

3. fireflyhatchery

Ya i wondered. I didnt even think it was that much that is why i posted for options. I will have to find some non medicated feed and give it a shot. thanks[​IMG]

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Just buy non medicated feed. I'm not a fan of Purina, but they make a chick feed that is free of medications and animal by-products.

5. fireflyhatchery

Why not Purina? something wrong with the feed quality?

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    google "organic naturals" brand poultry feed
    Best,
    Karen

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I didn't like the rep who was in the TSC (which I also no longer frequent) and I honestly just don't like their products. Every time we used one the pets (chickens, dogs, rabbits, cats) all appeared to have duller coats and just seemed sluggish. They were also at least $4 more expensive than other brands.

8. fireflyhatchery

Will do

9. fireflyhatchery

Never used it before on my dog or any animal just seen it on T.V. Typical advertising

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by