1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feed/water day old babies before introducing to foster hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherD42, Apr 19, 2016.

1. HeatherD42

HeatherD42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I had seven ducklings hatch yesterday (first one at 8am) and I haven't put them in the brooder yet because one egg has started zipping and I don't want to open the incubator. My plan is to introduce the ducklings to their foster chicken mom tonight.

Once I put them in the temporary brooder, should I give them food and water? I assume that mama hen won't show them the food and water till tomorrow morning, so is it better to not give them anything? If I give them food and water, will it then be harmful to them to go overnight with none? Supposedly they can survive with nothing for 72 hours which would be Thursday morning.

2. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    I just put six babies in the brooder and left two in the incubator to encourage the last two eggs to hatch. No ideas about food and water?

3. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

The six babies in the brooder

[​IMG]

The foster momma

4. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    I'm a bit baffled by the lack of response... Did I ask too complicated a question? I'm going to introduce them tonight, so maybe I'll just dip their bills in the water inside the broody hen house before slipping them under and hope everybody figures it out

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I would go ahead and introduce the water and food although technically I am pretty sure they would be ok without it until the next day. But to give them a good strong start I'd give them all a drink and food. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

6. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by