Feed & Water In the Coop???

Karen711

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Sechelt, B.C.
When I let the girls out in the morning they run for their food & water :(
Should I put both in the coop at nite as well?? I was hoping to avoid this but feeling bad :(
Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks :)

They don't eat or drink once on the roost so there is no need for food in the coop unless you are in the habit of letting them out late in the morning.

I keep a milk jug of water with a horizontal nipple in my coop in case they want some water before I get out there in the morning. Water is more important than food, especially in hot weather so I err on the side of caution and provide them that.

Last edited:
They don't eat or drink once on the roost so there is no need for food in the coop unless you are in the habit of letting them out late in the morning.

I keep a milk jug of water with a horizontal nipple in my coop in case they want some water before I get out there in the morning. Water is more important than food, especially in hot weather so I err on the side of caution and provide them that.

Perfect... Will do thanks so much
1f44d-1f3fb.png
1f603.png

I wasn't sure where to ask this, and sorry if this is not the proper section.
Is it alright for chickens to consume dairy. Mine have a varied diet of kitchen scraps excluding things I've read to be hazourous to their health. Knowing that dairy will spoil fast did not know if bacteria would be harmful. I've refrained from feeding them dairy until I was certain. Any input would be rad.

We have kept the food inside the box of our chicken tractors for protection from rain, and one thing we have used is a one gallon plastic bottle with a horizontal cut across maybe 1/3 of the bottom at the depth we want the food or water to come, then cut straight up to accomodate the chickens' necks and finish with a triangular shape at the top, but not cutting too close to the top of the bottle. The chickens can't scatter the food as well since they have to stick their heads in to eat, and when the food gets low we just knock out the residue to clean out before adding more food. Or for water we just dump out what is left and wash it a little with a brush before refilling.

I wasn't sure where to ask this, and sorry if this is not the proper section.
Is it alright for chickens to consume dairy. Mine have a varied diet of kitchen scraps excluding things I've read to be hazourous to their health. Knowing that dairy will spoil fast did not know if bacteria would be harmful. I've refrained from feeding them dairy until I was certain. Any input would be rad.

I feed dairy products to mine whenever I have scraps, especially yogurt or cottage cheese that is “aged” in the fridge. My wife is big on “use by” dates. I just don’t feed huge quantities. They normally clean it up pretty fast. It’s like any other treat. Don’t overdo it and they will be fine.

I feed dairy products to mine whenever I have scraps, especially yogurt or cottage cheese that is “aged” in the fridge. My wife is big on “use by” dates. I just don’t feed huge quantities. They normally clean it up pretty fast. It’s like any other treat. Don’t overdo it and they will be fine.

I don't have a covered run nor I have finished enclosing under the coop so for now their food stays in the coop we have had a lot of rain and until I can keep it dry it will stay in the coop

Back
Top Bottom