Feed & water in the Duck house?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Greekbird007, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Greekbird007

Greekbird007 Out Of The Brooder

Hi all, my youngest runner is 4weeks old her 2 friends are 5 weeks & their under feathers have come through the temps here in England are 50 55 at night, would they be ok to sleep in their duck house now at night? As they are sooooo messy & noisey! Lol! Also I don't want water in their duck house so they stay dry but worried they will choke on their bedding! I think maybe I'm clucking too much but they are my babies! Please any advice would be great!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think it's good to be overly concerned rather than unpleasantly surprised.

I feel that four and five weeks are too young to go without water or food, even overnight.

Can you take a look at some of the water management systems members are using? What does your setup look like now?

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They'll likely be fine. Ducks are pretty hardy, while they had their mum, my one clutch came through the end of a winter, they were hatched in Mar lol

I would keep feed/water for that aging, i tend to not to remove until birds are older they have a rapid amount growth done in the first 6wks-8wks.

That all said depending on your set-up it'll be up to you, whether you continue with it past that 8wk mark. Some of my birds do some cannot due to the housing set-up. They do fine, even in the heat. Also makes things easier in winters if they don't expect feed overnight as water sources need to be heated here to get through to morning.

4. Greekbird007

Thanku for your help the duck house itself is big enough to have water in will just have to maybe find a drinker that they can't make too much mess with they currently have bowls! , then once they are over 8 weeks I can re assess them and see if they can go without feed and water overnight, just don't want water freezing and making them cold. As I have no way of running electrics at the moment.
    It's really hard to make the right descision as they are so dependant on you & we would all be so upset if we lost them through poorly made choices.
    I know what to do now!
    Thanks guys [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What about something like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Works great for us. Ten ducks use this overnight every night. I just scrape some poo off the top, and remove a little of the dampest sawdust in the morning and add new sawdust pellets as needed. Every couple of weeks it gets a good wipe down with vinegar.

Is dampest a real word?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  6. Greekbird007

Dampest is now! Although I don't have quite as much room as that I can set something like that up for them, although why do mine insist on sleeping by there water bowl? And sticking there heads in every now & again!
    Messy cutie ducklings!
    Thanks Amiga!

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't know why, but Sechs likes sleeping next to the water bowl, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by