Feed With Cocci Prevention?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PepsNick, Nov 29, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I was reading my chicken book and saw that it recommends a feed that has cocci provention in it if your flock isn't vaccinated. I would like that. Anyone know where I can get it from? Or ORDER it from?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    PUrina sells a medicated chick starter, but i only use it for my meat birds,a nd only as a precautionary.--b/c if I loose a meat bird, it is $$. My laying flock, who freeranges though, has never had the medicated, and never had a bout of cocci. If you do use it, you don't need to use it for very long, as they build up an immunity to cocci over time.

3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Thanks, but this is for 8 month old laying hens.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    OTOH, cocci is prevalent in Georgia, at least some parts. My feed store doesn't even carry unmedicated. I can buy it unmedicated locally, in the grocery store, but I prefer not to.

The theory is it keeps the cocci numbers in check until the birds build up enough natural immunity to withstand it. We have one member in north Georgia who always has problems with cocci and has to treat her birds. Use search, put in cocci and speckledhen as the member name.

This is assuming the med is amprolium. I understand starter with an antibiotic is also sold; I wouldn't use that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010
  5. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Oh. Guess I'll just be treating, then. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by